We explore the sustainable value of concrete within four broad values: stewardship of natural resources; stewardship of financial resources; safety and stability; and aesthetics.
Concrete’s contribution to these values derives from its unique properties.
- It is strong and durable, resistant to deterioration and damage.
- It buffers temperature, and it can be colored and placed to do this in a way that works with passive solar energy to heat or cool spaces.
- It buffers sound, providing respite in a crowded, noisy world.
- It is versatile, allowing a large range of shapes, textures, and structural approaches to create the function, look, and feel appropriate to the project.
- It is also versatile in the flexibility of component materials, a quality which both extends the range of performance properties – insulation, permeability, and strength – and allows variation in the resources used to produce it.
Get more details by following this link to the Joint Sustainability Initiative website.